Accelerate Prosperity is an initiative of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) in Central and South Asia, with a mandate to create sustainable enterprises by investing in companies that can enable social, environmental and economic growth while delivering good capital returns.
CONSULTANT, FINANCIAL ANALYSIS AND MODELLING FOR STARTUPS & SMALL BUSINSSES
Accelerate Prosperity (AP) is a part of new global initiative of the AKDN in Central and South Asia, which follows guidance from the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) Board to develop more formal structures to catalyze enterprises within AKDN’s main area development programs, where economic opportunities remain insufficient. Through patient capital and tailored business advisory to startups and businesses, AP complements broader employment-related programs of AKF and draws significantly on technical expertise from the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development’s (AKFED) Industrial Promotion Services (IPS), and coordinates efforts with the AKDN’s financial institutions, the University of Central Asia and many other national partners.
AP’s approach combines financial and non-financial support, recognising that standalone business development services and traditional bank financing are inadequate to catalyse start-ups, grow small firms, and deliver job creation in fragile and emerging markets, particularly for marginalized groups in rural areas. The overall theory of change is that with improved business models, investment readiness along with tailored financing bundled with commercial and B2B linkages driven by the private sector, the supported businesses will be equipped to unlock private sector investments, sales and growth, leading to increased incomes and job creation.
PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
As a part of AP’s acceleration services to startups and existing businesses (small-sized), it aims to enable businesses develop and/or fine tune their financial models and forecast company’s financial performance into the future. A financial model is simply a tool to estimate company’s overall value/ worth. The forecast is typically based on the company’s historical performance and a sound business strategy and set of assumptions for future. The overall output of the financial model is used for decision making particularly for raising capital, mergers and acquisitions, expansion, launching of a new product/ service, sale of assets and divesting etc.
The purpose of this consultancy is to use the existing training material/ curriculum of AP and deliver online training and advisory to cohort of 20-25 entrepreneurs on financial modelling.
It is expected that the cohort entrepreneurs will be able to do the following things after attending this training:
- Develop a comprehensive (yet concise) Financial Model of the business, primarily for the shareholders and potential investors
KEY LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon completing this training, cohort entrepreneurs will be better able to:
- Name and understand key considerations when developing a financial model.
- Apply a structured process to develop a financial model.
- Coordinate with various departments/ functions of the business, shareholders and resources in the process of developing a financial model.
- Translate business model of the firm into sound numbers and projections of the company.
- Mini lecture (20%), Exercise/ Practice (40%), Examples (15%), Mentoring (15%)
The training should use the content available with AP and adopt a case-study based approach in order to engage cohort entrepreneurs actively in the learning process. The trainer will also be encouraged to adopt new content and tools beyond AP’s existing content in order to effectively deliver the training.
At the start of the training, entrepreneurs should be encouraged to share their understanding about the purpose of the training, topics and issues around it. During the training, the trainer acts as facilitator along with business coaches, using interactive learning methods to help participants to share their experiences and learn through participation in activities such as group discussions, case studies, and intense exercises/ practice sessions. The trainer is expected to deliver the training in a way that all participants are able to apply the knowledge gained, in applying/ executing comprehensive and high-quality financial modelling for small businesses at the end of the training.
NATURE OF CONSULTANCY
- One to one and Group Advisory
SCOPE OF ENGAGEMENT
- Trainer is expected to deliver the training syllabus. Please download the syllabus from the announcement page.
- 7-10 days of preparation
- 7 days of training (2-3 hours per day) between 24-30DEC 2020 from 17:00 – 19:00 every day.
- Online over zoom.
KEY CAPACITIES REQUIRED
The required capacities include:
- 1 Trainer with significant background in financial analysis, financial modelling, development financial statements, investment analysis and valuation.
Profile of the Trainer(s)
- Bachelors or preferably MBA/ Masters/ CA/ ACCA along with relevant professional certification
- At least 5-7 years of experience in financial analysis, financial modelling, development financial statements, investment analysis and valuation, preferably in a financial institution and/ or investment or brokerage house in a senior role.
- 5-7 years of training and advisory experience preferably for businesses (particularly SMEs).
- 30% of the total value of consultancy service will be given as mobilization advance.
- 50% on the delivery of the training and its outputs mentioned above.
- 20% of the total value of consultancy will ONLY be given as the final payment if the average pre and post training evaluation score is above 70. It is the exclusive responsibility of the trainer and his/ her team to achieve this score.
Both individual consultants and consulting firms are eligible to apply for this.
Please submit the following to us in order to apply for this consultancy:
- CV with details of your experience and expertise regarding the “capacity required” for this consultancy mentioned above.
- Financial quote, gross figures inclusive of all kinds of costs.
9th December 2020, 17:00 PST
MODE OF SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS
“Consultancy – Financial Modelling”.