Accelerate Prosperity is an initiative of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) in Central and South Asia, with a mandate to create sustainable enterprises by investing in companies that can enable social, environmental and economic growth while delivering good capital returns.
Sector Specialist - Early Childhood Development
About Accelerate Prosperity
Accelerate Prosperity (AP) is a joint initiative of the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) and Industrial Promotion Services (IPS) of the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED). AP’s mandate is to facilitate the creation and sustainability of start-ups and small and growing businesses (SGBs) in Central and South Asia by providing technical expertise and financial solutions.
Consultancy Summary (Objectives)
The role of the Consultant (individual, firm, or group of individuals) will be to lead market analysis of the ECD sector in Pakistan with an aim to 1) identify innovative and disruptive business opportunities that are currently untapped in the Ed-tech ECD space, 2) outline trends and best practices for innovation in ECD at the local, regional, and global levels, 3) identify key constraints for startups and SGBs to develop within the ECD space, and 4) produce an ECD sector brief that will aid AP’s training and financing efforts within each sector.
The consultant should be well-versed on ground realities of startups and SGBs within the ECD sector because they will be responsible for assessing activities of existing initiatives and programs. This can be done by engaging relevant stakeholders in the ecosystem including, but not limited to, successful and unsuccessful enterprises, business incubators, accelerators, investment funds, and government agencies.
Key Responsibilities (Outcomes)
- Recommend untapped future opportunities for business ventures within the Ed-tech and ECD space in Pakistan. These suggested ventures should be technology supported, eco-friendly, and promote local economic development.
- Quantify the size, scope, market demand, and growth potential of ECD
- Identify global and regional best practices within the innovative and startup space in ECD and gauge their relevance/applicability to the entrepreneurial ecosystem of Pakistan.
- Support AP team in desk review of relevant resources (grey literature and websites) to understand market trends, supporting industries, and potential for scalable growth within ECD in Pakistan.
- Design and carry out assessment of existing resources, activities, and key constraints within the ECD space by engaging relevant stakeholders (such as existing businesses, provincial and federal government organizations, and business associations/ networks). This may require in-person field visits.
- Suggest potential solutions to constraints highlighted by enterprises and stakeholders.
- Develop an ECD sector brief that will guide AP’s financial and technical efforts in the sector.
Target Sectors and Scope
The market analysis and recommendations for the ECD sector should use the lens of innovative technology driven initiatives and green solutions to determine program fit with AP’s goals. Additionally, the consultant should highlight opportunities for import substitution within the sector or within supporting industries.
In addition to the general requirements for the sector briefs, the consultant for the ECD brief should be able to:
- Determine a niche within this sector –motor, cognitive and educational skill-building, parental education and physical environment, or nutrition, health, and hygiene.
- Incorporate potential success factors for businesses in this sector eg academic background of founders, market demand, etc
- Highlight differences in industry practices based on the different age groups within the range of 0 to 8 years.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 8th April, 2022 by 23:59 PKT