Accelerate Prosperity is an initiative of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) in Central and South Asia, with a mandate to create sustainable enterprises by investing in companies that can enable social, environmental and economic growth while delivering good capital returns.
Services required for pitch making and investor relations trainings for startups & small businesses
Accelerate Prosperity (AP) is a part of new global initiative of the AKDN in Central and South Asia, which follows guidance from the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) Board to develop more formal structures to catalyze enterprises within AKDN’s main area development programs, where economic opportunities remain insufficient. Through patient capital and tailored business advisory to startups and businesses, AP complements broader employment-related programs of AKF and draws significantly on technical expertise from the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development’s (AKFED) Industrial Promotion Services (IPS), and coordinates efforts with the AKDN’s financial institutions, the University of Central Asia and many other national partners.
AP’s approach combines financial and non-financial support, recognising that standalone business development services and traditional bank financing are inadequate to catalyse start-ups, grow small firms, and deliver job creation in fragile and emerging markets, particularly for marginalized groups in rural areas. The overall theory of change is that with improved business models, investment readiness along with tailored financing bundled with commercial and B2B linkages driven by the private sector, the supported businesses will be equipped to unlock private sector investments, sales and growth, leading to increased incomes and job creation.
E4impact Foundation (E4Impact) is an initiative launched in 2010 by ALTIS (Graduate School of Business and Society of Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore), with the objective of training impact entrepreneurs in emerging markets in order to support the start-up and growth of their businesses. In 2015, E4Impact became a Foundation with the support of Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Securfin, Mapei, Salini-Impregilo, Bracco, ENI and other Individual Participants. The work of the Foundation contributes to the accomplishment of many of the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Goals, including access to quality education, decent work, economic growth and poverty and hunger reduction.
PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
As a part of AP’s acceleration services to startups and existing businesses (small-sized), it aims to enable businesses develop and/or fine tune their pitch decks.
You never get a second chance to make a good first impression” (Will Rogers). Mastering the art of delivering an effective pitch is critical since it can potentially make or break an entrepreneur and/or the business. “From pitching your idea to a potential business partner, to convincing a key investor to come on board, or winning over your first client, there’s a lot on the line when it’s time to make a pitch” (Forbes, 2017).
There is no dearth of guidelines and best practices from countless great examples, putting together a strong and effective pitch isn’t as simple as just following a formula. It’s an art by all standards. Recently, trends suggest that people, particularly investors, are becoming increasingly interested in the “why” rather than “what” (i.e. products & services being offered) behind a business, the greater purpose the business aims to serve. That makes storytelling and building confidence of the audience of the pitch all the more important than anything else. The details of businesses’ product and existing traction matter, but the pitch needs to dig much deeper. If an entrepreneur can build a meaningful connection with his/ her audience around shared principles and goals of the business, then the stage is already set for success.
The objective of this module is to enable the existing and aspiring entrepreneur to:
- Make an Effective Business Pitch to their Audience, that results in immediate achievement of the intended goals of the pitch in terms of investment commitments, improved networks, marketing and PR of the business.
It is expected that the cohort entrepreneurs will be able to do the following things after attending this training:
- Develop a comprehensive (yet concise) Pitch Deck of the business, primarily for the shareholders and potential investors
KEY LEARNING OUTCOMES
The aim of this module is to expose the aspiring and existing entrepreneurs to the art of pitch making with the following learning outcomes. Upon completing this training, cohort entrepreneurs will be better able to:
- Understanding the core purpose of pitch-making
- Understanding the audience and their priorities
- Mastering the content & the verbal/ non-verbal outlook
- Mastering the application of key rules of the game
- Mini-lecture (PowerPoint) (20%), Interactive Discussion (10%), Pitch Demonstrations (15%), Pitch Exercises/ Practices (35%), Mentoring (20%)
- Frontal lectures, where instructors deliver content and tools to the whole class. The content could be, depending on topic, both theoretical and practical in order to provide students a survey of theory but also useful tips to implement their idea
- Case study, where a best (or sometimes bad) practice is showed to the class
- Group works, where students (in small group) are asked to perform some tasks applying tools and methods to reality (case studies or their own business)
- Class discussions, where small groups finding are reported to and discussed with the whole class
- Mock pitching, when each entrepreneur will hold a test pitching session receiving feedbacks in order to improve and “fine tune” his/her presentation
NATURE OF CONSULTANCY
- Provide feedback/input during the content development for the module
- One to one and Group Advisory
SCOPE OF ENGAGEMENT
- Trainer is expected to deliver the training syllabus which will be developed with the professor of E4Impact.
OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME A CERTIFIED TRAINER FROM E4IMPACT FOUNDATION
- The selected trainer will join the Train the trainers (ToT) training after the selection and will get a certification from E4 Foundation as a certified master trainer and will be given preference during the selection for all future engagements as well.
- Program timeline starts from 1st April and will conclude by end of October 2021.
- 08 days to provide feedback/input during the content development
- 06 days to attend the training which E4 Impact will provide to the trainers and business coaches
- 09 days of training (2-3 hours per day) between 05-12OCT 2021 from 17:00 – 19:00 every day.
- Online over zoom.
KEY CAPACITIES REQUIRED
The required capacities include:
- 01 Trainer with significant background in pitch making and investor relations, financial statements analysis, investment analysis and valuation.
Profile of the Trainer(s)
- Bachelors or preferably MBA/Masters.
- At least 5-7 years of experience in pitch making, investor relations, financial statements analysis, investment analysis and valuation, preferably in a financial institution and/ or investment or brokerage house in a senior role.
- 5-7 years of training and advisory experience preferably for businesses (particularly SMEs).
- 30% of the total value of consultancy service will be given as mobilization advance.
- 50% on the delivery of the training and its outputs mentioned above.
- 20% of the total value of consultancy will ONLY be given as the final payment if the average pre- and post-training evaluation score is above 70. It is the exclusive responsibility of the trainer and his/ her team to achieve this score.
Both individual consultants and consulting firms are eligible to apply for this.
Please submit the following to us in order to apply for this consultancy:
- CV with details of your experience and expertise regarding the “capacity required” for this consultancy mentioned above.
- Financial quote, gross figures inclusive of all kinds of costs.
15th April 2021, 17:00 PST
MODE OF SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS